helma's blog

One thing leads to another...

I came across a nice write up of Jenkins and Aegir to help setting up a dev, stage, prod environment. This sounds like a good candidate of the problems that occur when you try to locally develop on a Drupal site that is already in production.

First stop was setting up Jenkins and Aegir. Jenkins is easy. I didn't even bother and installed the DMG package on my Lion Server and it was up and running almost instantly.

IMCE and FileField Sources, an update

Upon Marcelo's request I post my adjusted version of the filefield_sources/sources/imce.inc file. The following code replaces the function filefield_source_imce_value

IMCE, FileField Sources, private and public files

The issue still isn't solved. So today I made another attempt. Things shouldn't be that complicated. All I want is create nodes with images and links to other files that can be visible for anonymous users or users of a special role. And I want to use IMCE as the file browser.

But now I'm running in circles: with admin/config/media/file-system set to 'public local files served by webserver' IMCE works as expected and finds and inserts the files for public access. But the private section is off limits.

Drupal 7, IMCE, Media and public and private files

Today I decided to tackle the problem of needing public and private files. Again.

At the first attempt I switched the default download method  in admin/config/media/file-system from 'public' to 'private'. From that moment on, no picture was visible any more. After many hours of digging around, I gave up and switched the download method back to public.

Later I found that all pictures needed to be referenced in the database with a 'public://' or a 'private://' prefix.

With the move from IMCEImage to FileField, this was fixed.

Drupal 7, IMCE and FileFields

As written in my previous post I decided to move the Origami Society website to Drupal 7.

One of the key features I need is a section for members only. At first I implemented this in Drupal 6 by using a single Page node protected by the Content Access module. All files were referenced as links on this page and put in a separate, private directory.

Or so I thought.

Moving to Drupal 7

I'm in the middle of upgrading/converting my pet project website in Drupal 6 to Drupal 7. This was my first Drupal website, so in hindsight I found out I made a lot of mistakes.

So, after the release of Drupal 7 I tried it on this website and found some very nice features such as an integrated 'admin menu bar' at the top, updating modules through the interface rather than downloading, untarring and ftp-ing every module by hand. I got really fond of drush when I found it.

Migration completed (for now)

This is the first post written in the new Drupal 7 configuration. I've left the old WordPress blog up for now, just to make sure I haven't missed anything.

With many modules still in alpha, beta or dev mode, this humble little website works more or less as expected.

Migration from Wordpress to Drupal

The last update of my Wordpress installation for this website was ages ago and it didn't work out well. I've been procastinating on the next update ever since.

Today I decided I might as well move to Drupal. After all, I now build all websites in Drupal so I might as well practice what I preach.

SVN repository setup

Surely, when you claim there is no information to be found, you run across multiple examples when hunting down something else. Nice write ups are here, here and here.

SVN and firewall woes

Every now and then I get the urge to build another website. This time I decided to take the professional route and put everything in SVN. Very nice but that means I need to get my SVN server up and running. Nice to see that I no longer need to rely on Fink or MacPorts, but that Snow Leopard comes with a very recent version.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - helma's blog