Blog entry

Migration completed (for now)

This is the first post written in the new Drupal 7 configuration. I've left the old WordPress blog up for now, just to make sure I haven't missed anything.

With many modules still in alpha, beta or dev mode, this humble little website works more or less as expected.

However, some strange things happened (such as links disappearing from menus) and I haven't figured out yet why. Some things I've run in to:

  • Drupal 7 accepts no PHP version lower than 5.2.4. Although the website worked on 5.2.3, strange things happened. I've asked the hosting provider to update the PHP version and now it works.
  • Surely, immediately after updating I ran into a memory problem. I tried fixing it by adding the appropriate line to the .htaccess file, but it didn't work until I added the corresponding line to the default/settings.php file.
  • I've ran into a strange error, described here. I suspect that the patch is applied to my Drupal 7 version, after all 7 months have passed since the last post in this issue (except for mine of course). However, on my local machine everything works as expected, no error. PHP version is 5.3.2. On this website PHP version is now 5.2.17 and although it works, I still get the error.

My first experiences with Drupal 7 are good. I like the new administrative overlay and toolbar menu. It saves one more module. However, it takes a while to remember to look at the tabs on the right hand side of the (Garland) page for further configuration settings.

I like the new way settings are ordered in different groups (People, Structure etc.) although I sometimes try to find a setting under it's Drupal 6 location. I guess I just need some time to get used to it.

I'm a bit disappointed that some modules and themes are not yet fully implemented. I've downloaded the Acquia Marina theme and got excited over the possibilities the underlying Fusion theme provides. I really like to point and click my layout for a first idea. Unfortunately I couldn't get most of it working. Since all documentation refers to Drupal 6, I guess it need to be more patient and wait until implementations are fully completed.

The only thing I haven't found yet is how to map the new taxonomy field (i.e. a separate field) to the 'terms' functions in the theme templates. I'd like to have my tags comma separated after the submission line, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get that working. Oh well, something for a future session.

All in all I'm very pleased with the result. In 2 days I've moved my old WordPress blog to a brand new blog in Drupal 7, with Drupal 7 and Drupal set up for blogging being firsts in my book.